How to prepare for a newborn session
Congratulations on your newborn! I know firsthand how exhausting and rewarding these first few weeks are. It wasn’t until I became a mom in 2019 that I had such a passion for newborn sessions. Lifestyle newborn sessions are a wonderful way to capture the beauty and natural moments of your baby’s earliest days. I adore the raw moments between family members and their newest little ones, hearing their little noises and being able to capture the memories you’ll hold onto forever. Here are some tips on how to prepare for a successful newborn session:
- Timing: Schedule the session within the first two weeks of your baby’s life. This is when they tend to sleep more and are easier to pose or photograph. There is an exception to this time frame if you’re sweet babe arrived earlier than expected!
- Natural lighting: Choose a room in your house with ample natural light. Open the curtains and blinds to let in as much light as possible. Soft, diffused natural light creates a warm and cozy atmosphere.
- Keep it warm and cozy: Babies are more comfortable when they’re warm. Make sure the room is comfortably heated before the session. You can use a space heater to maintain a cozy temperature if needed, or simply keep your home at a temperature that you find is cozy enough. Warning: adults may not enjoy the warmer environment, but remember.. baby does!
- Minimal props: We mean it. Lifestyle sessions focus on capturing your baby in their natural environment, so keep the props to a minimum. If you want to utilize props, choose meaningful elements from your home to incorporate into the photos, such as blankets, toys, or heirlooms. Otherwise, keep it natural!
- Dress comfortably: Dress yourself and your baby in comfortable and neutral-colored clothing. Soft, solid-colored fabrics work well and won’t distract from the focus on your baby.
- Be prepared: Have all the necessary items nearby, such as diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes. Keep a feeding bottle or breast milk ready to help soothe your baby during the session.
- Capture candid moments: Lifestyle sessions are about capturing real, candid moments. Let the photographer guide you, but also allow yourself and your baby to interact naturally. Smile with them, let them wrap their tiny fingers around your thumb, and just love on them. These genuine interactions will result in beautiful and heartfelt photographs.
- Include family members: Lifestyle sessions are a great opportunity to include family members, including parents, siblings, and even pets. It’s a chance to capture the bond and love within your family.
- Relax and be patient: Babies can be unpredictable, and sessions may take longer than expected. Stay calm and patient, and trust the photographer to capture the best moments. Remember to enjoy the process and the special time with your newborn.
- Communicate with the photographer: Before the session, discuss your expectations and preferences with the photographer. Share any specific ideas or poses you have in mind. A good photographer will be open to your input and will work with you to create the perfect session.
Remember, the most important thing is to relax and enjoy these early memories with your newborn. Lifestyle newborn sessions are all about capturing the raw authenticity within family members. Enjoy the experience and the beautiful memories that will be preserved through these photographs.
I hope this information on how to prepare for your newborn session! Feel free to head over to my blog to catch a glimpse of a few recent sessions held both in-home and in a studio. If you’d like to schedule your session with me, click here for details on individual sessions and collectives and reach out via the contact tab above!
Enjoy your sweet little babe while they’re so little – they just don’t keep!